- AI has gained remarkable abilities to manipulate and generate language, thereby hacking the operating system of human civilization.
- AI tools could be used to mass-produce political content, fake news stories, and scriptures for new cults, potentially leading to the first cults in history whose revered texts were written by a non-human intelligence.
- Through its mastery of language, AI could even form intimate relationships with people, and use the power of intimacy to change our opinions and worldviews.
- AI could create completely new ideas and culture, potentially leading to the end of human history as we know it.
- Rigorous safety checks and regulations are needed to ensure AI tools are used for good rather than ill.
The Economist — Tech — AI Impact on Human Civilization — Technology — Artificial Intelligence — Cultural Evolution
Yuval Noah Harari argues that AI has hacked the operating system of human civilisation
Historian and philosopher Yuval Noah Harari warns that AI's mastery of language could lead to the end of human history as we know it, and calls for rigorous safety checks and regulations to ensure AI tools are used for good rather than ill.