- US cryptocurrency enforcement tsar promises crackdown on illicit behaviour on digital platforms.
- Department of Justice is targeting crypto exchanges along with the “mixers and tumblers” that obscure the trail of transactions.
- DoJ is targeting companies that commit crimes themselves or allow them to happen, such as enabling money laundering.
- Focus on platforms would 'send a deterrent message' to businesses that are skirting anti-money laundering or client identification rules.
- DoJ's crypto unit aims to bring more enforcement actions targeting investment scams, thefts and hacks involving decentralised finance.
Financial Times — Markets — Cryptocurrency Enforcement — Financial Services — Cryptocurrencies — Financial & Markets Regulation
US crypto tsar promises crackdown on digital platforms
The US Department of Justice is stepping up scrutiny of cryptocurrency platforms, targeting crypto exchanges and mixers that obscure the trail of transactions, and companies that allow them to happen. The DoJ's focus on platforms would send a deterrent message to businesses that are skirting anti-mo