- US clinic Nushama is offering ketamine and psychotherapy to treat alcoholism through its four-week programme.
- The programme costs $10,000 per person and is not covered by US insurers.
- Ketamine is an illegal party drug but is believed to recalibrate the brain and help tackle addictive behaviour.
- Awakn Life Sciences, a UK biotech, licensed the combination therapy to treat alcohol use disorder.
- A mid-stage clinical trial led by the University of Exeter found that low doses of ketamine combined with psychotherapy helped people stay off alcohol for longer.
Financial Times — Companies — Psychedelics industry moves into treating addiction with ketamine therapy — Addiction — Psychedelics — Mental Health
US clinic offers ketamine therapy to treat alcoholism
US clinic Nushama offers ketamine and psychotherapy to treat alcoholism, licensed from UK biotech Awakn Life Sciences. Mid-stage trial found low doses of ketamine combined with psychotherapy helped people stay off alcohol for longer.