- Ukraine is willing to discuss the future of Crimea with Russia if they reach the border of the occupied peninsula.
- The comments are the most explicit statement of Ukraine’s interest in negotiations since it cut off peace talks with the Kremlin last April.
- Ukraine is ready to open a diplomatic page when they will be on the administrative border with Crimea.
- Kyiv’s long-planned counteroffensive aims to regain territory and the military option is not excluded.
- Western officials are sceptical about Ukraine’s ability to reclaim the peninsula and worry that any attempt to do so militarily could lead President Putin to escalate his war.
Ukraine ‘ready’ to talk to Russia on Crimea if counteroffensive succeeds
Ukraine is willing to talk to Russia about Crimea if their counteroffensive succeeds, according to a top adviser to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Kyiv's military option is not excluded. Western officials are sceptical about Ukraine's ability to reclaim the peninsula.