- New Yorkers Max Keiser and Stacy Herbert are key advisers to the Salvadoran government on its adoption of bitcoin.
- They are also investing in bitcoin ventures in the country and are founding backers of a crypto exchange helping manage El Salvador's sovereign debt sale.
- The couple has almost 700,000 followers on social media and are major supporters of President Nayib Bukele.
- The adoption of bitcoin as legal tender has not alleviated the country's poverty and lack of funding needed for government spending.
- Bitcoin use in the country is scarce, making up less than 2% of foreign remittances.
WSJ — World — Bitcoin adoption — Cryptocurrencies — Politics — Investment
The New York Couple Behind El Salvador’s Bitcoin Experiment
New Yorkers Max Keiser and Stacy Herbert are key advisers to El Salvador’s government on bitcoin adoption and are investing in bitcoin ventures in the country.