- El Salvador, once known for having the highest murder rate, now has the highest incarceration rate in the world.
- President Nayib Bukele's campaign to arrest suspected gang members has reduced homicides by 92% and decreased illegal border crossings by 44%.
- The anti-gang campaign is popular among Salvadorans but has faced criticism from rights groups for arbitrary detentions and mistreatment of prisoners.
- Other countries, such as Ecuador and Guatemala, are considering adopting similar policies to combat high crime rates.
- The iron-fisted approach has led to overcrowded jails, human rights violations, and concerns about long-term societal consequences.
The Country With the Highest Murder Rate Now Has the Highest Incarceration Rate
El Salvador has transformed from the country with the highest murder rate to the country with the highest incarceration rate due to President Bukele's anti-gang campaign.