- Australia, America and Britain will collaborate on a next-generation submarine design.
- America and Britain will rotate submarines through Perth in the 2020s.
- America will sell up to five Virginia-class nuclear submarines to Australia in the 2030s.
- The AUKUS pact aims to match China’s military heft.
- The submarines will be nuclear-powered, but not nuclear-armed.
The Economist — World — AUKUS pact — Military — Alliances — Technology
The AUKUS pact is a model for Western allies
The AUKUS pact is a long-term commitment to match China's military might by pooling resources and talent, with Australia, America and Britain collaborating on a next-gen submarine design and rotating submarines through Perth.