- Tesla to build new battery factory in Shanghai for Megapack energy storage units.
- Construction to begin in Q3 2023, with production starting in Q2 2024.
- China already has the largest battery manufacturing capacity in the world.
- Megapack is intended for grid-scale energy storage.
- Tesla's existing car factory in Shanghai produced 711,000 cars last year.
Tesla New Battery Plant Cements China’s Place in Energy Storage
Tesla will build a new battery factory in Shanghai for Megapack energy storage units, further cementing China's place in the global energy storage supply chain. The factory will start production in 2024.