- Tennessee Republican leaders face pressure to act following a mass shooting at a Christian school that left six dead.
- Democrats suggest tightening laws to make it harder for people who are a danger to themselves or others to buy guns.
- Lt. Gov. Randy McNally calls for armed guards at all schools, securing windows and glass doors in schools, magnetic locks on doors and other measures.
- Protests have taken place at the state Capitol, with religious groups calling for government leaders to work to reduce the chances of a future mass shooting.
- Republican supermajorities in the Tennessee legislature have given priority to expanded gun access in recent years.
Central banks around the world are pausing tightening campaigns as inflation eases and economies slow. Inflation-targeting regimes are keeping their own houses in order, while the US Fed's key inflation gauges fell to the slowest annual paces since late 2021.
Two massive earthquakes on Monday have devastated cities and towns across Turkey and Syria, with death toll of over 16,000. This is one of the worst natural disasters this century, alongside the 2004 Sumatran Tsunami, 2010 Haiti earthquake and 2008 Cyclone Nargis.
A raft of U.S. data and European inflation numbers will give guidance on how the world's top central banks will navigate the way ahead, including the hotly debated "no landing" scenario. Reports on U.S. durable goods orders, home prices, manufacturing and consumer confidence threaten to cement expec