- Sony considers partial spin-off and relisting of shares of its financial services arm to bolster investments in its entertainment business.
- Sony plans to retain a stake of about 20% and target a timeframe of 2-3 years for the listing.
- The move will help strengthen Sony's investment capacity for image sensors and entertainment.
- Sony will make use of a government scheme that allows companies to break up their units without incurring additional tax burdens.
- Investors welcome the move as a way to unlock value in the Japanese conglomerate.
Financial Times — Tech — Sony financial services — Corporate Spin-Offs — Japanese Business & Finance — Technology Sector
Sony considers partial spin-off and listing of financial services unit
Sony plans partial spin-off and relisting of shares of its financial unit to invest in entertainment business and image sensors, unlocking value in the Japanese conglomerate.