- Shopify is selling its logistics fulfillment operations, including Deliverr, to Flexport.
- The sale will help Flexport offer logistics services and tracking for merchants from Chinese factories to last-mile delivery.
- Shopify will lay off around 20% of its workforce after the sale.
- Flexport will be in competition for retailers’ delivery business with Amazon.
- The acquisition effectively ends Shopify’s attempt to stand up its own logistics fulfillment operation.
WSJ — World — Logistics Sale — Logistics Report — E-commerce — Logistics
Shopify to Lay Off 20% of Its Workforce as It Sells Logistics Business to Flexport
Shopify is selling its logistics fulfillment operations to Flexport, ending its own logistics fulfillment operation and laying off about 20% of its workforce.