- Florida governor Ron DeSantis defends Trump against criminal charges, calling them political persecution.
- DeSantis is expected to be Trump’s main rival for the Republican nomination for president in 2024.
- DeSantis's show of support was in line with other Republican presidential hopefuls who have criticised the Manhattan district attorney.
- The indictment is likely to boost Trump's polling numbers among the Republican grassroots and energise small-dollar donations.
- Recent polls show 57% of Americans think criminal charges should disqualify Trump from running for president again.
Financial Times — World — Trump Indictment — Trump Impeachment — Us Capitol Attack — Republican Party Us
Ron DeSantis falls in line with Republicans in closing ranks behind Donald Trump
Ron DeSantis falls in line with Republicans in closing ranks behind Donald Trump, defending him against criminal charges and positioning himself as his main rival for the 2024 Republican nomination for president.