- Russian President Vladimir Putin makes a surprise visit to Mariupol, Ukraine.
- The visit is seen as a show of defiance after the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Putin.
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov claims the trip was planned spontaneously.
- Putin drove around the frontline city without a full motorcade escort.
- Residents have started to return to Mariupol thanks to Russia's reconstruction efforts, according to a top Russian official.
Putin pays surprise visit to Mariupol in occupied Ukraine
Russian President Vladimir Putin makes a surprise visit to Mariupol, Ukraine, in defiance after the ICC issued a war crimes arrest warrant.