- SNP leadership candidate Kate Forbes emphasizes the need for respect and listening to unionists to widen support for Scottish independence.
- Forbes points to polls showing she has greater appeal among the Scottish public.
- Scotland's governing party needs to reach out beyond the SNP and take a respectful approach to win people over to independence.
- Forbes's gradualist approach could disappoint those in the SNP who believe in a second independence referendum since Scots voted in 2014 to stay in the union.
- Forbes promises to change the Scottish government's economic policy, focusing more on wealth creation and promoting competitive taxation.
Financial Times — World — Scottish Independence — Scottish National Party — Kate Forbes — Lukanyo Mnyanda
Path to independence ‘starts with respect’ for unionists, says SNP leadership candidate
Kate Forbes, SNP leadership candidate, emphasizes the need for respect and listening to unionists. Forbes promises to change the Scottish government's economic policy and promote competitive taxation.