- Shahida Raza, 29, was one of at least 63 people who died when a boat with economic migrants from Central Asia crashed off Italy's Calabrian coast.
- Raza had left her 3-year-old son, partly paralyzed, with her ex-husband in Pakistan before starting the dangerous journey.
- Most of the migrants were from Afghanistan, but also from Iran and Pakistan.
- Raza had played on field hockey teams representing Quetta and the Pakistani military.
- Raza had left Pakistan to find better care for her son and economic opportunities for herself.
The New York Times — World — Migration — Pakistan — Italy — Central Asia
Migrants’ Shipwreck Near Italy Claimed a Pro Athlete From Pakistan
Shahida Raza, a Pakistani pro athlete and mother of one, was one of at least 63 people who died when a boat with economic migrants crashed off Italy's Calabrian coast. She had left her son with her ex-husband in Pakistan and was hoping to find better care and economic opportunities in Italy.