- Many of the Republicans who lost to Trump in 2016 are either sitting out the 2024 election or have retired from politics altogether.
- Few contenders are experienced on the national stage and are unwilling to face Trump again.
- The small Republican field of Trump challengers shows that high-level Republicans still view the former president as a grave threat to their political futures.
- The expected 2024 field will likely only include Trump and Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida.
- Republicans are wary of challenging Trump due to his cutthroat political approach and the potential for party obsolescence.
The New York Times — Us — 2024 Republican presidential candidates — Presidential Election of 2024 — Presidential Election Of 2016 — United States Politics and Government
M.I.A. in 2024: The Republicans Trump Vanquished in 2016
Many 2016 Republican presidential candidates are sitting out the 2024 election or have retired from politics altogether, leaving few contenders to challenge Donald Trump, who is potentially the only Republican candidate with previous presidential campaign experience.