- Former president Jair Bolsonaro returns to Brazil after three months of self-exile in Florida.
- Bolsonaro is welcomed by supporters and police summons over $3mn of jewels said to be gifts from the Saudi government.
- Bolsonaro criticizes Lula's administration and plans to tour the northeast to drum up support.
- The return of the former president has the potential to complicate Lula's presidency by mobilizing the right against the government.
- Bolsonaro faces mounting legal challenges, including investigations of potential corruption, smuggling, abuse of presidential powers, and inciting riots.
Financial Times — World — Bolsonaro return to Brazil — Brazilian Politics — Jair Bolsonaro — Bryan Harris
Jair Bolsonaro summoned in Saudi jewel probe on return to Brazil
Former president Jair Bolsonaro returns to Brazil after self-exile in Florida, welcomed by supporters and police summons over $3mn of jewels said to be gifts from the Saudi government, amidst mounting legal challenges