- The Iraq War lasted for years and transformed the country in many ways.
- The war began with the US invasion to topple Saddam Hussein, followed by a sectarian civil war.
- Militias fought one another and American forces long after Hussein's capture.
- The war left neighborhoods as graveyards and houses as tombs.
- The US troops came back a few years later to fight the Islamic State.
The New York Times — World — Iraq War — Vis-Photo — Defense and Military Forces — United States Defense and Military Forces
In Photos: The Iraq War
From the first night of bombing through the official American withdrawal, photographers with The New York Times chronicle the ordeal of the Iraq War in graphic photos.