- Illumina CEO Francis deSouza's total pay in 2022 was $26.7mn, almost double the previous year.
- DeSouza received a special grant of stock options worth $12.5mn for retention.
- This comes ahead of a proxy fight with activist investor Carl Icahn, who wants to oust deSouza.
- Icahn accuses deSouza of mismanagement, especially in Illumina's acquisition of Grail without regulatory approval.
- Illumina recommends shareholders withhold votes for Icahn Group director nominees at annual meeting.
Financial Times — World — Illumina CEO Pay — Us & Canadian Companies — Investor Activism — Executive Pay
Illumina chief’s pay nearly doubles ahead of clash with Carl Icahn
Illumina CEO Francis deSouza's pay nearly doubled to $26.7mn in 2022 ahead of a proxy fight with Carl Icahn, who wants to oust deSouza over alleged mismanagement of the company.