- Isaac “Ike” Perlmutter says Disney fired him as chairman of Marvel Entertainment because he pushed too aggressively to cut costs and ran afoul of the creative executives.
- Perlmutter says he has tried for years to convince Disney to spend less on its Marvel Studios superhero movies, which he believes are too long and too expensive to produce.
- Disney executives and Marvel Studios leadership have a singular focus on ticket sales, while Perlmutter cares about the bottom line.
- Perlmutter is one of Disney’s largest individual shareholders, owning approximately 30 million shares of Disney worth about $3 billion.
- Perlmutter clashed with creative executives whom newly returned Chief Executive Robert Iger wants to empower.
Ike Perlmutter: Disney Fired Me From Marvel, I Wasn’t Laid Off
Disney fired Isaac “Ike” Perlmutter as chairman of Marvel Entertainment because he pushed too aggressively to cut costs and ran afoul of creative executives, he says in a rare interview with The Wall Street Journal.