- US sister cities provide funds, material aid and moral support for Ukrainian counterparts under fire.
- 22 US municipalities maintain ties with municipalities in Ukraine.
- Sister city relationships emerged during the Cold War as a means of forging connections between communities.
- Sister city ties can foster unique collaborations and aid in resettling refugees within the US.
- Sister city relationships also play a counter to Russian disinformation.
How US Sister Cities Have Supported Their Counterparts in Ukraine
US sister cities have stepped up to provide funds, material aid and moral support for Ukrainian counterparts under fire. The conflict has illustrated the increasingly significant role that subnational government relationships can play on the international stage.