- A report in 2014 warned that Maui's Lahaina was at extremely high risk of wildfires.
- Local authorities were not prepared for the recent devastating wildfire in Lahaina.
- Some recommendations from the 2014 wildfire-protection plan were implemented, but others were hindered by lack of funding and logistical hurdles.
- Passing hurricanes in Hawaii have been tied to fire danger, as documented in a 2020 report.
- Over the past decade, an average of 20,000 acres have burned annually in Hawaii.
Hawaii Officials Were Warned Years Ago That Maui’s Lahaina Faced High Wildfire Risk
A report warned years ago of the high wildfire risk in Maui's Lahaina, which local authorities were unprepared for. Passing hurricanes in Hawaii have been tied to fire danger.