- Germany lags behind US, China and UK in creating tech unicorns.
- VC investment in the country amounted to just 0.25% of GDP last year.
- US pension funds own 10% of Germany's tech unicorns, worth a collective €47bn.
- Germany needs to mobilise far more growth capital to control a far punchier tech sector.
- Europe has a chance to Frankenstein its start-up sector by combining the inventiveness of Germany with the vibrancy of the UK's government-incentivised early-stage investment scene and the growing strength of France's scale-up financing institutions.
Europe needs to ‘Frankenstein’ its start-up sector
Germany needs more growth capital to compete with the US and China in creating successful startups, says report. US pension funds own 10% of Germany's tech unicorns.