- A Trumpian revival in America would leave Europe exposed to unpredictable leadership and reshaping its political landscape.
- Europe's dependence on America has deepened under Joe Biden, with NATO as the guardian of its security, American LNG supplying much of its gas, and green subsidies turning America into the El Dorado for European companies.
- France has been advocating for the EU to develop its own strategic autonomy, but Central Europeans do not trust anyone but America with their security.
- Europe may have some diplomatic cards to play in its role as balancing power, but it lacks the means to prepare for anything else.
- The west’s two biggest democracies head to the polls in 2024: the EU will vote to refresh its parliament in the spring, before America picks a new president and Congress in November.
Europe is unprepared for what might come next in America
Europe is unprepared for the potential of a Trumpian revival in America, with little agreement on what to do. Europe's dependence on America has deepened under Joe Biden, and France advocates for the EU to develop its own strategic autonomy.