- New rural law-enforcement officers in China face backlash from citizens.
- Swine-fever outbreaks are partly due to a secretive and unaccountable bureaucracy.
- China has not declared a single mainland case of swine fever to the World Organisation of Animal Health in over a year.
- New law-enforcement agencies have been created that are answerable to central-government ministries.
- Public reaction to the new agencies has been mostly hostile.
Central banks around the world are pausing tightening campaigns as inflation eases and economies slow. Inflation-targeting regimes are keeping their own houses in order, while the US Fed's key inflation gauges fell to the slowest annual paces since late 2021.
Two massive earthquakes on Monday have devastated cities and towns across Turkey and Syria, with death toll of over 16,000. This is one of the worst natural disasters this century, alongside the 2004 Sumatran Tsunami, 2010 Haiti earthquake and 2008 Cyclone Nargis.
A raft of U.S. data and European inflation numbers will give guidance on how the world's top central banks will navigate the way ahead, including the hotly debated "no landing" scenario. Reports on U.S. durable goods orders, home prices, manufacturing and consumer confidence threaten to cement expec