- Foreign travelers to China have significantly decreased since the lifting of Covid-19 restrictions.
- Major cities like Beijing and Shanghai saw less than a quarter of the number of foreign visitors compared to 2019.
- The decrease in visitors is attributed to deteriorating relations between China and the West.
- The drop in foreign investment and arrivals is affecting China's economy.
- China is seeking to attract more foreign visitors to defuse geopolitical tensions.
Central banks around the world are pausing tightening campaigns as inflation eases and economies slow. Inflation-targeting regimes are keeping their own houses in order, while the US Fed's key inflation gauges fell to the slowest annual paces since late 2021.
Two massive earthquakes on Monday have devastated cities and towns across Turkey and Syria, with death toll of over 16,000. This is one of the worst natural disasters this century, alongside the 2004 Sumatran Tsunami, 2010 Haiti earthquake and 2008 Cyclone Nargis.
A raft of U.S. data and European inflation numbers will give guidance on how the world's top central banks will navigate the way ahead, including the hotly debated "no landing" scenario. Reports on U.S. durable goods orders, home prices, manufacturing and consumer confidence threaten to cement expec