- The UK currently has jobs to spare due to ill health, early retirement and population ageing.
- Net migration to the UK hit a record high of more than half a million last year.
- The new, post-Brexit migration system introduced in January 2021 makes it much harder to hire from the EU, but in many cases easier to recruit workers from other countries- for a fee.
- Immigration lawyers say the wave of lay-offs now sweeping the tech sector has sent some recent migrants on a desperate hunt for new visas to let them stay in the UK.
- The Home Office granted 76,938 grants of work visas over 2022, with healthcare now dwarfing all other sectors.
Britain after Brexit: The surprising surge in skilled migrants
Net migration to the UK hit a record high of more than half a million last year, with the Home Office granting 76,938 grants of work visas over 2022. Healthcare now dwarfs all other sectors.