- Baidu debuts 'Ernie Bot', an AI chatbot in China's tech industry race.
- Investors disappointed with scripted video instead of real-time demo.
- Shares of Baidu fell 6.4% in Hong Kong, wiping out $3 billion of value.
- Ernie's ability to match OpenAI's ChatGPT is in question.
- Baidu will let consumers and cloud clients register for access to the AI chatbot starting Thursday.
Baidu Plunges After Recorded Demo of AI Chatbot Disappoints
Baidu's shares plunge 6.4% after disappointing investors with a scripted video of their AI chatbot, Ernie Bot, raising doubts over its ability to compete with rivals like OpenAI's ChatGPT. Baidu debuts Ernie Bot as they struggle to revitalize growth and compete against Alibaba and Tencent in China's