- India is monitoring Great Coco Island over concerns of a Chinese buildup of infrastructure there.
- Satellite images show a gradual buildup on the island, including an expanded airstrip and aircraft hangars.
- Equipment visible at the site could be used to track aircraft, according to Indian security officials.
- China denies involvement, but Indian officials believe Chinese engineers and military personnel have been spotted on the island.
- An expansion of military and surveillance activities on Great Coco could allow Beijing to better monitor India’s naval ship movements, satellite launches and missile tests.
As a Tiny Island Is Militarized, India Worries About China’s Growing Footprint
India is concerned about a Chinese buildup of infrastructure on Myanmar’s Great Coco Island, which could provide Beijing with better surveillance of India’s naval movements and missile tests.