- Central banks around the world have large staffing numbers.
- European central banks employ thousands of people despite ceding monetary policy responsibilities to the ECB.
- The Federal Reserve system in the US also has a high number of staff.
- The People's Bank of China employs a staggering 125,000 people.
- The productivity of central banks and the necessity of their staffing levels is being questioned.
Are there too many central bankers?
The staffing levels of central banks around the world are being questioned as productivity growth remains sluggish. European central banks and the Federal Reserve system in the US employ thousands of people, while the People's Bank of China has a staggering 125,000 employees.