- Mauritius has been attempting to detoxify its financial industry and was recently taken off the EU's blacklist of countries it deems deficient in their anti money laundering and terrorism financing regimes.
- Adani's alleged use of Mauritius as a center for shell companies is not unusual in the Indian context.
- Mauritius' position as India's biggest source of foreign direct investment has dropped from $15.9 billion to $9.4 billion.
- Mauritius remains a popular offshore base for many investors seeking opportunities in some of the biggest markets.
- Adani Group has complied with all regulations in Mauritius' jurisdiction.
Adani Rout Puts Spotlight on Billions Flowing Through Mauritius
The island of Mauritius is once again in the spotlight due to short-seller allegations against billionaire Gautam Adani. Adani Group has complied with all regulations in Mauritius' jurisdiction, but questions are being raised about the island's role as a tax haven for India's tycoons.