- Ukrainian troops and Western arms make small gains in initial days of counteroffensive against Russian-occupied regions.
- Russian defenses in southern Zaporizhzhia region have been well-prepared for attacks.
- Ukraine aims to cut the land bridge that connects Russia to Crimea, which Moscow seized in 2014.
- Most of the newly delivered Western weaponry is not yet in use.
- Morale remains high despite the inevitable losses expected in the campaign.
‘A Wall of Steel’: Ukrainian Troops Face Hard Slog in Offensive’s First Days
Ukrainian troops face a difficult task in the initial days of their counteroffensive against Russian-occupied regions. Western arms supporting Ukraine have made small gains against Russian defenses. The campaign will be tough and casualties are inevitable.