- Seven Virginia deputies charged with second-degree murder in death of Black man with mental illness.
- Irvo Otieno, 28, died after being smothered by officers in handcuffs and leg shackles at hospital.
- Deputies and Central State Hospital employees charged with murder.
- Family says Otieno was deprived of medication he needed for mental illness.
- Encounter between law enforcement and person with mental illness that ended in violence or death.
The New York Times — Us — Police Violence — Police Brutality, Misconduct And Shootings — Murders, Attempted Murders And Homicides — Mental Health And Disorders
7 Virginia Deputies Charged With Murder in Death of Man at Hospital
Seven Virginia deputies and Central State Hospital employees have been charged with murder in the death of Irvo Otieno, a Black man with a history of mental illness.