- Russian troops capture Bakhmut after 10-month battle with thousands of casualties on both sides.
- Kyiv sent in mobilized soldiers and territorial defense units, some with patchy training and equipment.
- 16 untrained draftees assigned to defend an apartment block in Bakhmut, 11 killed or captured in 36 hours.
- Wives of missing soldiers search for information, angry at lack of training before deployment.
- Ukrainian lawmakers proposed minimum 3 months training for mobilized troops.
36 Hours in Bakhmut: One Unit’s Desperate Battle to Hold Back the Russians
After 10 months of brutal fighting, Russian troops capture Bakhmut, Ukraine. Untrained draftees sent in by Kyiv suffer heavy casualties. Wives of missing soldiers demand answers.